Ups and Downs | Page 17 | Vital Football

Ups and Downs

Went to Hayes Lane a couple of times in my younger South East London playing days. I think Bromley were in the Isthmian League at the time (early 1980s - along with Sutton and - Wycombe Wanderers 😳) and I never in a million years saw them as a future league club, especially with their ground being a bit run down and basic. They’ve done well though over the years to improve their ground and make a it look presentable. My first visit to the ground was when I signed for a new club in the Beckenham League and they finished the previous season playing the Beckenham League Cup Final at Hayes Lane. Today’s useless piece of information 🙄😂

Macclesfield lost in their play-off final, so remain in NPL Prem next season.

Interestingly they lost to Marine who were in the Conference on our fist sojourn, and another team who were there, Telford, lost their play-off final from the Southern League

Macclesfield lost in their play-off final, so remain in NPL Prem next season.

Interestingly they lost to Marine who were in the Conference on our fist sojourn, and another team who were there, Telford, lost their play-off final from the Southern League
Fairly sure this promotion to National League North will be Marine's highest ever level and Telford possibly a 'new entity' to the one we faced in the1980's

Fairly sure this promotion to National League North will be Marine's highest ever level
It will actually equal their highest ever level. In the days before National League North was invented they were in the Northern Premier League for many seasons when it was one level below the Conference (which they have never been members of).

Fairly sure this promotion to National League North will be Marine's highest ever level and Telford possibly a 'new entity' to the one we faced in the1980's

Apols, yes, mixing them up with Runcorn (another really s**t ground we visited that season). And yes, Telford will be a new entity.... and also now play at the New Bucks Head, rather than the old BH we visited in that season, although we played them at the new ground on our most recent visit to the conference

Apols, yes, mixing them up with Runcorn (another really s**t ground we visited that season). And yes, Telford will be a new entity.... and also now play at the New Bucks Head, rather than the old BH we visited in that season, although we played them at the new ground on our most recent visit to the conference
Same location. All new stadium built between 2000-2003 on the site of the original with an added hotel. AFC Telford formed in 2004 after the money that went into the Stadium dried up in 2003 when the owner's business went bankrupt. Orginal club formed in 1872 under the name Wellington Town, then Telford United, now AFC Telford

Went to Hayes Lane a couple of times in my younger South East London playing days. I think Bromley were in the Isthmian League at the time (early 1980s - along with Sutton and - Wycombe Wanderers 😳) and I never in a million years saw them as a future league club, especially with their ground being a bit run down and basic. They’ve done well though over the years to improve their ground and make a it look presentable. My first visit to the ground was when I signed for a new club in the Beckenham League and they finished the previous season playing the Beckenham League Cup Final at Hayes Lane. Today’s useless piece of information 🙄😂
I used to play in the Orpington and Bromley District League back in the 60s . I'm sure their similar cup final was also at Hayes Lane , although my club never reached one when I was there lol